Monday, 20 August 2012

Troubles in little Kupang

'There are no big problems, there are just a lot of little problems' - Henry Ford

Kupang had not changed since our last visit; bad holding, a floating parade of rubbish as it is all thrown off the cliffs and a lee shore. 
The normal clear in process for the Rally was fast and furious with 133 boats vying for the service. All done by dinghy with the CIQP officials (all 8 of them) coming to each vessel . But eventually it was done and we could go ashore for the next round of paperwork. In the meantime, a yacht had dragged toward the rocks but between the Customs boat and lots of yachties, she was re-anchored.
Customs to the rescue: but had to be rescued when they broke down
Yachties to the rescue: the owners were not on board

Going ashore is interesting to say the very least: being a lee shore it can be a little bouncy, then you have to navigate the traders tied up. The service of the dinghy boys takes away a lot of the stress particularly when you have a 'big' tinny. For the heady sum of about $4 a day, they haul it up the beach and return it to the water when you are ready to go home.
Along with the crew of 'Babar', we took a taxi to the Telkomsel office for some serious data and mobile phone packages. For about $10 a month, local calls are free and data availability about 1.2GB.
We met Dr Made, the Port Doctor, during our clear in and he was to become a good friend, often coming to Tientos for dinner. He had been posted to Kupang for 2 years but had to leave his family in Bali. 
Dr Made aboard Tientos
Keith was checking the motor ready for our departure on Saturday 4th August and discovered BAD NEWS!  Our fuel injector pump was history! Dead, deceased, expired! This was confirmed by Matthew, mechanic extraordinaire in Kupang, and he was unable to source another for our 80hp Perkins 4.236. Lots of phone calls later, a pump was located at Fremantle Injection Service in Perth Australia and flown to the Darwin Sailing Club. Now the fun began...there is no flight or barge from Darwin to Kupang, but we knew yachts who were heading to Kupang from Darwin. Keith's investigative skills in tracking down these yachts would leave Sherlock for dead. Finally, a yacht was found and the part would be here in about 10 days. 
Bouncy anchorage as we wait
We watched as the Rally yachts departed but enjoyed the company of other visiting yachts whilst we were waiting, waiting, waiting...watching every yacht that appeared around the headland. 
A deserted anchorage at Kupang

You know that adage about not making plans to meet a boat? We had friends booked to fly to Bali to meet Tientos; change of plans. We will collect you at Lombok and we will short-change our planned time around Komodo!
Finally the part arrived on 20th August; Matthew installed that morning ($200) and we weighed anchor at 1315.  An overnighter saw us entering Boling Strait at first light on top of the tide and a heady 9.9 knots saw us spat out the other end in time to anchor at Kroko, one of our favourite spots. Oh Bliss! 
Stress release

 May all your bars be wooden and well-stocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment